After week 13 of the NFL season, there is one thing clear: The Chargers and Colts are in trouble. Both teams, contenders a season ago, are 6-6 and just lost home games to teams with losing records. Peyton Manning threw four interceptions for the second straight week in a 38-35 overtime loss to the Cowboys. The Chargers got man-handled at home by the Raiders just when you thought they were coming on.
On Monday Night, in the most anticipated game of the week, the Patriots demolished the Jets to the tune of 45-3. Tom Brady is playing like the best player in football, shredding defenses such as the Steelers and Jets. Meanwhile, the Jets have some soul searching to do.
The Patriots dominating win earns them the top spot in this weeks power rankings
1. New England Patriots (2): 10-2. The Patriots embarrassed the Jets on Monday Night, and Tom Brady further made the case of why he is hands down the MVP of the league.
2. Atlanta Falcons (1): 10-2. The Falcons continue to figure out how to win games, and that is the sign of a great team. There are few quarterbacks better than Matt Ryan when the game is on the line.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (4): 9-3. Seriously, how good is Troy Polamalu? Another week, and another huge play. That was a huge win for the Steelers.
4. Green Bay Packers (6): 8-4. They took care of business at home against the 49ers, and travel to Detroit next week before their showdown with the Patriots in Foxborough.
5. Chicago Bears (7): 9-3. Give the Bears credit for winning a trap game in Detroit. Can you believe this team is 9-3?
6. Baltimore Ravens (5): 8-4. The Ravens missed a golden opportunity to seize control of the AFC North. Joe Flacco has to better.
7. New Orleans Saints (8): 9-3. That’s two weeks in a row where the Saints have come through late and won the game. I would not want to play them in the playoffs.
8. Philadelphia Eagles (9): 8-4. Michael Vick rebounded, and the Eagles won a shootout against the Texans. Next they travel to the dangerous Cowboys on Sunday Night Football.
9. New York Jets (3): 9-3. Nothing made me happier than seeing the Jets get embarrassed on Monday Night. There are not even words to describe how bad they got dominated.
10. New York Giants (11): 8-4. The Giants controlled that game from start to finish and it resulted in a 31-7 victory.
11. Kansas City Chiefs (12): 8-4. It wasn’t pretty, but the Chiefs hung on against the Broncos for a big win. If they beat the Chargers this week then the AFC West is theirs.
12. Jacksonville Jaguars (15): 7-5. Is it time to start believing in the Jaguars? They control their own destiny for the AFC South crown.
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (13): 7-5. That was a tough loss by the Bucs, they should have won that game. They can keep their season alive with a win in Washington.
14. Indianapolis Colts (14): 6-6. What in the world is wrong with Peyton Manning? That’s two straight games with four interceptions. The Colts have a short week as they travel to Tennessee on Thursday Night Football.
15. St. Louis Rams (18): 6-6. Can the Rams make it three straight road wins with a win in New Orleans? Sam Bradford has his work cut out for him as he tries to out duel Drew Brees.
16. Oakland Raiders (24): 6-6. With their sweep over the Chargers, the Raiders are very much alive in the AFC West race. Tom Cable is doing an excellent job.
17. San Diego Chargers (10): 6-6. Who saw that loss coming against the Raiders? The Chargers play the Chiefs this week in a game to save their season.
18. Dallas Cowboys (23): 4-8. The Cowboys look like a completely different football team with Jason Garrett coaching. They are a team nobody wants to face right now. Jon Kitna played a flawless game in Indianapolis.
19. Minnesota Vikings (19): 5-7. The Vikings are playing well under Leslie Frazier and get a big test this week when the Giants come to town.
20. Houston Texans (17): 5-7. If there was ever a year to win the AFC South, this was the year. If only they had a defense.
21. Cleveland Browns (21): 5-7. Rob Ryan has done a terrific job with that defense and this team plays hard every week.
22. Miami Dolphins (16): 6-6. Can Chad Henne really be the Dolphins quarterback of the future? That loss was inexcusable against the Browns.
23. Tennessee Titans (19): 5-7. It looks like the Titans have quit on Jeff Fisher, and his career in Tennessee may be in serious doubt.
24. Seattle Seahawks (25): 6-6. Marshawn Lynch had his best game as a Seahawk as they scored 31 unanswered to keep pace with the Rams in the NFC West.
25. Washington Redskins (22): 5-7. The Redskins are a mess, and got embarrassed in New York. Donovan McNabb is not the answer.
26. San Francisco 49ers (26): 4-8. The 49ers will turn back to Alex Smith this week, but is he the long term answer?
27. Denver Broncos (28): 3-9. Knowshon Moreno had 161 yards rushing, but the Broncos only had six points. Ouch. To top it off, Josh McDaniels was fired.
28. Detroit Lions (29): 2-10. Drew Stanton played very well in his first career start, but the Lions lost yet another close game. That is now six losses by five points or less.
29. Buffalo Bills (27): 2-10. The Bills showed no sign of life in Minnesota and got blown out. This team needs Andrew Luck, bad.
30. Cincinnati Bengals (30): 2-10. How could the Bengals get drawn offsides? That play never works. That is now nine losses in a row and counting.
31. Arizona Cardinals (31): 3-9. I bet Cardinals fans were hoping that Kurt Warner would come down from the booth and play against the Rams. There’s not one team who is in need of a quarterback more than this team.
32. Carolina Panthers (32): 1-11. After a 14-0 lead, the Panthers got outscored 31-0 the rest of the way. Their only chance at another win is week 15 when they host the Cardinals.